Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Another Margaret Atwood Link....

I'll start writing about other topics again, but first one more Atwood link! She did an interview with the New Yorker Radio Hour, I believe it was last week. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Podcast episode yet but I heard it was really good. She talks about how realistic The Handmaid's Tale is.

Also, I got Hulu just to do the free trial and watch the show. I've seen the first two episodes already (SPOILERS) and it's fantastic so far! There are small changes to the book's plot that I've noticed, but nothing that seems out of character or like it doesn't fit with the world Atwood created. The real triumph of the show is how effectively it conveys the mood and themes of the story. The cinematography, lighting, set and all the smallest details are eerily perfect. My favorite thing about how they've paced the show so far is how there are periods of an episode that are *almost* boring where we get to know Offred's world, but nothing much is really happening, leaving you anxious until the next horrifying thing happens. That feeling of slight boredom, with an underlying dread would be exactly what the handmaids must feel, so the fact that the show conveys the same feeling is really cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment